Everyone knows Zilla has bars…dude could flow on for days and this song demonstrates nothing less than that ability and talent. He’s backed on the boards by Sultan Mir for this first single from the impending album, Martyr Musick. The song has got that boom-bap with a touch of soul. You get the entire head nod effect.
Album: Mosaic Music
01. Mosaic Musick Intro
03. Bricks In My Back Pack
04. Juke Joint Stroll
05. Ski In The Desert
06. Not The Same
07. Vanilla Sky
08. Talk My Shit
09. The Story
10. Mosaic Musick Outro
I am always interested in new music from V-Zilla. He has put out a handful of albums and side projects over the years and all have been exceptional. This collaboration with fellow Texan, Zeke Lopez, is no different. Actually, in all honesty, it very well may be some of his best work.
Album: The Monster And Mr. Arnell
1. The Intro
2. Hold Steady
3. Rap Shit
4. World so Cold
5. Hometown Heroes
6. Clarity (feat. Helen Sciandra)
7. Fish Grease
8. Phoebe Cates
9. 12 O’clock
10. Step in My Direction (feat. Blacastan)
11. I Just Don’t Know
13. The Excellence (feat. DJ Tmb)
14. Stealth Move (feat. Des Devious)
15. Megatron Dons
16. Kill Everything (Bonus)
It’s more than just a Army Of The Pharaohs thing. It’s more than just a Houston to Philadelphia thing. The Monster And Mr. Arnell is a showcase of some of the most promising talent, not only on the AOTP team but currently in the game as a whole. I have been showcasing V-Zilla for quite a while now as an emcee and Lawrence Arnell on his production credits. Now the two have combined to deliver a compelling project for hip hop heads of all walks to appreciate.
Oh shit. I missed this. V-Zilla and Lawrence Arnell tear the house down with their single, The Excellence. And let me tell you this, I have never heard of Juan Muteniac but if his productions are remotely on par with this beat, I need to go get that discography immediately. That beat is homicide. Some vicious flows over the perfect rhythm makes this a must listen.
Make sure to peep their collaborative album, The Monster & Mr. Arnell, dropping on Thanksgiving Day.
You know when V-Zilla drops some new music because the ground starts to shake and ear drums go into a panic. This man knows nothing BUT dropping bangers! This time he has Lawrence Arnell and Skammadix lending hands.
This track is the preface to the forthcoming opus, Martyr Musick, which is due out in June!
Album: The A.D.D.I.C.T. EP
Here’s another project that I have been holding on to for a while that deserves some recognition for being a really ill release. Often times projects that drop around the holidays get lost in the shuffle and that’s really the case here. I heard about it, listened to it, and meant to post something months ago but just fell short.
Disclaimer: It is hard and challenging to pick 50 tracks from the thousands upon thousands that dropped this year. It is merely an attempt to list my favorite cuts of 2012. Click the links to listen to the song! I think it’s a great list. There were a lot of great songs crafted this year and I know I left off some good ones. I listened to 5,000+ tracks from 2012 alone this year, so as an artist, if you made this list you know you are on the forefront of my iTunes!
1. Megatron Mindstate – Spit Gemz, Shaz Illyork, and DJ Brans brought the banger of the year early on in 2012. For me this track just set a standard that could not be surpassed. The beat was epic and the rhymes intermingled the streets with theology to provide a brief but concentrated delivery of dope.
2. Tragedy Text – RP from the Loyalty Digital game me the chills literally with this track about texting and driving and anyone who can provoke that type of response deserves to be acknowledged. One of the great conceptual songs in the last five years.
5. Lo Siento Amigo – Dub Sonata x Double AB brought a lot of flavor and context to this joint. Dub Sonata conjures a little latin boom bap and Double AB continues to be one of the best story telling emcees in the game, narrating a tale of romance, deception, and karma.
6. Local Artist – I could have honestly used any on the cuts off of The 17ths FREE EP. It’s a damn great EP and you can listen to it through and through. But this cut puts the listener in the shoes of your “local artist” and his life.
8. Heaven – While this is not on any particular album, Mike Beatz provides an amazing banger for the fans and the visuals from the video give you that serial killer feel. I can’t wait to hear more from this man in 2013.
34. Terminate On Site – CF drops another tough joint. Last year he brought ‘that fire’, and this year he ‘terminates on site’.
39. Rabbit Season – Craig G is an OG. He deosn’t care about end of the year accolades but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve them. He once again shows these youngsters how it is done…proper. Kids….go get your shine box!
42. Unlearn – Reks and Numonics kill the game with this track. These are two of my favorites in their selected fields. You can’t listen to this without stopping what you are doing and paying attention to the music,.
I didn’t even know his album dropped on the last day of 2011. I got a chance to listen to it today, and it’s impressive. V-Zilla has a dope flow and the bulk of the songs from his 20 track album are really strong. Most Incredible is one of the strongest and an excellent choice for a single.