One of the dopest cuts off of MaLLy and The Sundance Kid’s dope album, …The Last Great which was one of the Ten Best Albums From 2012. I like what they did by integrating different people in the video. That’s fresh.
#1 – (Apollo The Great – Hennessy Diaries) – I know what you are saying right now…”What is he thinking?” But you probably haven’t even heard this album. I have listened to it at least 10 times in preparation for this list and I have come to the same conclusion every single time. It is the best. Now I haven’t even had the time to review the album in it’s entirety but I hope this accolade prompts you to listen to it. This is going to sound like large praise indeed, but listening to this was similar to listening to Illmatic. Now before you get your panties in a bunch…I said like.
This is a great album. The beats are incredible and Apollo the Great is a superb lyricist. There is not one skippable track on the entire project. It is great from the alpha to the omega. Above The Sky, Liquor Talk, and Bad Ones are all some of my personal favorites off of this joint. Each joint is well done but the flow of this album is on point as well, It’s an extremely fluid release
#2 – (Oddisee – People Hear What They See) – This album dropped in June and for no apparent reason I listened to it and moved on. But upon revisiting this project, I too can see it’s brilliance. Many people know Oddisee as the producer but people are getting more and more exposure to his lyricism. He’s very introspective and delivers powerful performance after powerful performance.
#3 (PremRock – Mark’s Wild Years) – Man, for two years running Premrock has cracked this list. I guess that should come as not surprise as he is probably the most innovative artist on this list. I mean combining Tom Waits and Hip Hop is no easy feat in my mind but he brought so much life and vibrancy to hip hop with this release. I hope people will give this album a chance in their rotation. I think you will enjoy. Premrock gives the term ‘artist’ all the more credibility in hip hop culture.
#4 (Ruste Juxx x The Arcitype – VIC) – I had never heard of The Arcitype prior to this release and for shame on me. This gentleman gave Ruste Juxx the perfect auditory canvas for his verbals. VIC not only knocks to a higher rhythm, but Ruste Juxx showed incredible versatility making this joint shine bright for 2012.
#5 (Swerve – The Barrelhouse) Here’s another one you all might be shaking your heads at, but I will not back down from this choice. The Barrelhouse is silky smooth and Swerve just has “it”. His lyricism, flow, and the ability to morph a turn of phrase really separates him from the pack to me. I am determined to get this man’s name more shine in 2013 because his 2012 was criminally slept upon. The highest caliber of emcee.
#6 (Apollo Brown x OC – Trophies) – I know the majority will have this higher on their lists. It’s a great album. Everything Apollo Brown is touching these days appears to be golden. But truthfully, when was the last time you heard OC come off like this? He sounds tight on the mic device. This album is loaded with dope tracks and a must have in your stash.
#7 (MaLLy x The Sundance Kid – The Last Great) – This is a great emcee and producer combo! I felt like this project took forever to come out. I was asking and anticipating and it finally arrived. When it did, it did not disappoint in the least. MaLLy doesn’t just rock mics…he commands them! He just has incredible presence. The Sundance Kid also is gifted behind the boards creating interesting blends of boom-bap and synth. Check this!
#8 (Locksmith – Labyrinth) – Some of you forgot about this one, didn’t you? Locksmith is tenacious with his spit game and filled with angst. This is another album that is loaded with great tracks. My two favorites are Illuminati and Little Bunny Rabbit.
#9 (Reks x Numonics – Rebelutionary) – This is an artistic union that any fan or blog should be able to get behind. Reks (in my mind) already has one classic album under his belt with, Grey Hairs. Numonics has been cranking out some of the dopest production in the last couple of years. The two sound really great together. This album knocks hard and has edgy lyricism for the masses.
#10 (LRoneous – Lgorithms) – LRoneous has been the epitome of consistency. Last years’ Notes Of The Righteous Outlaw really caught my attention and Lgorithms just holds that captive audience and builds upon it. He is one of the finest wordsmiths doing it right now and deserved to be recognized as much. Lots of great cuts on this but perhaps none greater than his dedication to Mike Dream.
Disclaimer: It is hard and challenging to pick 50 tracks from the thousands upon thousands that dropped this year. It is merely an attempt to list my favorite cuts of 2012. Click the links to listen to the song! I think it’s a great list. There were a lot of great songs crafted this year and I know I left off some good ones. I listened to 5,000+ tracks from 2012 alone this year, so as an artist, if you made this list you know you are on the forefront of my iTunes!
1. Megatron Mindstate – Spit Gemz, Shaz Illyork, and DJ Brans brought the banger of the year early on in 2012. For me this track just set a standard that could not be surpassed. The beat was epic and the rhymes intermingled the streets with theology to provide a brief but concentrated delivery of dope.
2. Tragedy Text – RP from the Loyalty Digital game me the chills literally with this track about texting and driving and anyone who can provoke that type of response deserves to be acknowledged. One of the great conceptual songs in the last five years.
5. Lo Siento Amigo – Dub Sonata x Double AB brought a lot of flavor and context to this joint. Dub Sonata conjures a little latin boom bap and Double AB continues to be one of the best story telling emcees in the game, narrating a tale of romance, deception, and karma.
6. Local Artist – I could have honestly used any on the cuts off of The 17ths FREE EP. It’s a damn great EP and you can listen to it through and through. But this cut puts the listener in the shoes of your “local artist” and his life.
8. Heaven – While this is not on any particular album, Mike Beatz provides an amazing banger for the fans and the visuals from the video give you that serial killer feel. I can’t wait to hear more from this man in 2013.
34. Terminate On Site – CF drops another tough joint. Last year he brought ‘that fire’, and this year he ‘terminates on site’.
39. Rabbit Season – Craig G is an OG. He deosn’t care about end of the year accolades but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve them. He once again shows these youngsters how it is done…proper. Kids….go get your shine box!
42. Unlearn – Reks and Numonics kill the game with this track. These are two of my favorites in their selected fields. You can’t listen to this without stopping what you are doing and paying attention to the music,.
I must say that this is a highly entertaining video. It is done in the same vain as the Intervention television series on A&E. This song can be found on the duo’s collaborative album …The Last Great. I hope you all check it out.
I get the distinct feeling that this album is going to garner some ‘Album Of The Year’ consideration. To be honest, I haven’t heard a subpar track from the duo. Illy.
The new album, The Last Great drops in two weeks. Check for it.