I don’t post promotional material as a rule of thumb, but I have a special place in my heart for music made by the Local-Mu12 collective. I have actually been asking about the status of this release for a couple of months now as it was originally slated for a Labor Day release. It got pushed back with the ever popular TBD release. But now it’s hitting the interwebs on December 17th so write that date down. This is a quick sampler of the entire album and if this doesn’t wet your appetite, you MFers can simply stay malnourished!
Disclaimer: It is hard and challenging to pick 50 tracks from the thousands upon thousands that dropped this year. It is merely an attempt to list my favorite cuts of 2012. Click the links to listen to the song! I think it’s a great list. There were a lot of great songs crafted this year and I know I left off some good ones. I listened to 5,000+ tracks from 2012 alone this year, so as an artist, if you made this list you know you are on the forefront of my iTunes!
1. Megatron Mindstate – Spit Gemz, Shaz Illyork, and DJ Brans brought the banger of the year early on in 2012. For me this track just set a standard that could not be surpassed. The beat was epic and the rhymes intermingled the streets with theology to provide a brief but concentrated delivery of dope.
2. Tragedy Text – RP from the Loyalty Digital game me the chills literally with this track about texting and driving and anyone who can provoke that type of response deserves to be acknowledged. One of the great conceptual songs in the last five years.
5. Lo Siento Amigo – Dub Sonata x Double AB brought a lot of flavor and context to this joint. Dub Sonata conjures a little latin boom bap and Double AB continues to be one of the best story telling emcees in the game, narrating a tale of romance, deception, and karma.
6. Local Artist – I could have honestly used any on the cuts off of The 17ths FREE EP. It’s a damn great EP and you can listen to it through and through. But this cut puts the listener in the shoes of your “local artist” and his life.
8. Heaven – While this is not on any particular album, Mike Beatz provides an amazing banger for the fans and the visuals from the video give you that serial killer feel. I can’t wait to hear more from this man in 2013.
34. Terminate On Site – CF drops another tough joint. Last year he brought ‘that fire’, and this year he ‘terminates on site’.
39. Rabbit Season – Craig G is an OG. He deosn’t care about end of the year accolades but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve them. He once again shows these youngsters how it is done…proper. Kids….go get your shine box!
42. Unlearn – Reks and Numonics kill the game with this track. These are two of my favorites in their selected fields. You can’t listen to this without stopping what you are doing and paying attention to the music,.
This is the camp right now! Local Mu-12 is killing from every angle right now. They are dropping at least one dope joint a week. This joint is no less dope than all of the others. All three of the emcees hit their mark with their verses over a rock/hiphop fused production from Real McKoy.
This is a single from their Labor Day album that has yet to be released.
Man this song hit home the first time I heard it. I emailed, RP immediately and asked him if I could share this as a single. Well, this song became more poignant to me as I almost loss my wife to a heart attack yesterday. Different situation than the song, but the chorus still hits home when you are looking at a loss.
This song is what hip hop, and music in general is all about,…it gets you feeling something. Really dope writing skills on this one. It’s coming off of RP’s debut album, The Crackpot Diaries which I will be reviewing soon.
Local-Mu12 rep is back at it again with his single, Faded, off of his forthcoming album, The Crackpot Diaries. The song has a lot of kick (literally) with RP riding the rhythm of electronica and percussion. It’s a nice blend of boom-bap flavor and some edgier sounds. Peep.
There’s a new collective that’s putting out some dope music and it seems spearheaded by Fokis and Stryfe. I just posted their last single, Pay What You Owe, a couple of days ago and this joint really just picks up where that one left off. The track has excellent production and some really slick flows. Enjoy…