Well, here we are! Our Top 10 albums from 2018. I literally listened to hundreds of projects this year so giving you a top ten was no easy task considering not only the number of albums but also the quality. And these lists are always prone to spark debate and conversation, but that’s part of the fun, isn’t it? I simply wanted to shine a light on my favorite joints this year and in part give my definitive salute as a fan to these artists and their body of work. Here we go…Enjoy!!
Here’s another dope visual from Apollo Brown and Joell Ortiz’s new album, Mona Lisa. Ortiz divulges thoughts and experiences from his past encased in the skill and lyricism that we have come to expect. He goes in on the images that he used to emulate as a child, and gives praise that he made it out of all of the pitfalls if nothing but the grace of God. He reflects over an Apollo Brown beat that has it all. He makes musical harmony out of drums, horns, strings, and scratching. Definitely memorable off a really dope project.
Apollo Brown and Joell Ortiz have a new collaborative album out called Mona Lisa which is quite dope. This track, Cocaine Fingertips, is not just given the video treatment, but more or less the cinematic treatment. Brown drops a tight beat in stealth mode with Ortiz painting some ill lines with his super refined flow, all mingled in this video between a Pablo Escobar-esque story line.
Very entertaining….COP THE ALBUM.
Well, we have another awesome collaborative project involving Apollo Brown. This time he is linking up with Joell Ortiz creating a haunting piece for the latter to question the various decisions to make in life and the intended consequences. This song sounds fantastic. I am really excited about this.
Mona Lisa drops on October 26th.
Artist: The 17th
1. Intro (Prod by the 17th)
2. Look Away (Ft. Rock of Heltah Skeltah)(Prod by the 17th)
3. I Wreak Havoc (Ft. Havoc of Mobb Deep)(Prod by the 17th)
4. Thirsty (Ft. Spoke In Wordz)(Prod by Fantom of the Beat)
5. Don’t Care (Ft. Joell Ortiz & HollaAtcha Gwalla)(Prod by Louie Rock)
6. Used to Love U (Ft. Skyzoo)(Prod by Relavant Beats)
7. God’s Away on Business (Ft. Elise 5000)(Prod by the 17th)
8. Bundle @f St!cks (Prod by the 17th)
9. In My Mind (Prod by Anonymous)
10. Chest Tube (Ft. Seven)(Prod by the 17th)
11. Push (Prod by the 17th & Josh Johnson)
12. Hold My Own (Ft. Cortez, Livin Proof, HollaAtcha Gwalla, Zay G)(Prod by Anonymous)
13. Neglect (Ft. Rich Alomar)(Prod by the 17th)
14. My Drug (Prod by the 17th & Josh Johnson)
15. I Am God (Prod by the 17th)
16. New World Order (Prod by the 17th)
The 17th released his album, Inside Jokes With Complete Strangers, around a couple of months or so ago and I have taken my sweet time reviewing but it certainly deserves notice and recognition. The 17th is lauded on this site for his unorthodox wordplay and topic selection. He has a tendency to take the craft to higher limits with his conversational style and dynamic wordplay.
The 17th releases yet another dope single from his forthcoming project, Inside Jokes With Complete Strangers. This time The 17th is exchanging bars with Slaughterhouse brethren Joell Ortiz and still isn’t out shined. He simply is one of the preeminent spitters in this game. He brings so much personality to his bars that no one is even coming close to duplicating. Extra special notice be given to the John Bobbitt line (look it up young ones).
I believe that the new album is dropping this month, but I could be wrong…check back accordingly.