Young Lo and Tone Spliff release a video single, Never Fold, from their 2018 EP, Tape Deck Music. This is 100% unadulterated hip hop that this hip hop fan craves. If you find yourself yearning for dope beats and fresh verses, this is going to be up your auditory alley.
Disclaimer: It is hard and challenging to pick 50 tracks from the thousands upon thousands that dropped this year. It is merely an attempt to list my favorite cuts of 2012. Click the links to listen to the song! I think it’s a great list. There were a lot of great songs crafted this year and I know I left off some good ones. I listened to 5,000+ tracks from 2012 alone this year, so as an artist, if you made this list you know you are on the forefront of my iTunes!
1. Megatron Mindstate – Spit Gemz, Shaz Illyork, and DJ Brans brought the banger of the year early on in 2012. For me this track just set a standard that could not be surpassed. The beat was epic and the rhymes intermingled the streets with theology to provide a brief but concentrated delivery of dope.
2. Tragedy Text – RP from the Loyalty Digital game me the chills literally with this track about texting and driving and anyone who can provoke that type of response deserves to be acknowledged. One of the great conceptual songs in the last five years.
5. Lo Siento Amigo – Dub Sonata x Double AB brought a lot of flavor and context to this joint. Dub Sonata conjures a little latin boom bap and Double AB continues to be one of the best story telling emcees in the game, narrating a tale of romance, deception, and karma.
6. Local Artist – I could have honestly used any on the cuts off of The 17ths FREE EP. It’s a damn great EP and you can listen to it through and through. But this cut puts the listener in the shoes of your “local artist” and his life.
8. Heaven – While this is not on any particular album, Mike Beatz provides an amazing banger for the fans and the visuals from the video give you that serial killer feel. I can’t wait to hear more from this man in 2013.
34. Terminate On Site – CF drops another tough joint. Last year he brought ‘that fire’, and this year he ‘terminates on site’.
39. Rabbit Season – Craig G is an OG. He deosn’t care about end of the year accolades but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve them. He once again shows these youngsters how it is done…proper. Kids….go get your shine box!
42. Unlearn – Reks and Numonics kill the game with this track. These are two of my favorites in their selected fields. You can’t listen to this without stopping what you are doing and paying attention to the music,.
Album: Vice City Nights
This review has been in the chamber for a while as Vice City Nights was released just over a month ago. The project is collaborative in nature with Emilio Lopez holding down the duties on the mic while Barcelona based production duo, RJBeats controls the boards. I have really enjoyed hearing the numerous amounts of EPs this year that focus on using one producer with one emcee to give the projects some consistency without getting stale. Vice City Nights follows that template to a tea.
I had know idea this video was dropping until last night. It turned out to be perfect timing as I am, in a few moments, posting my review for this project. Escuchela is my favorite track from the Vice City Nights EP. Those beats and those bars make this track too nice not to share with a friend or five. Emilio Lopez really has upped the ante with his projects in 2012. Jump on board now so you can avoid the “I-Told-You-Sos” later.
Ooooh. We have a tough joint here. Really tough. I am not sure who did the beat, but I really like it . It’s perfect for a posse cut of this magnitude. All of the verses were on point. In short, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Blacastan’s upcoming album, The Master Builder Part II, drops on March 13th. You have been warned.
This was a great combo last year. Emilio Lopez and Falside killed it last year with their Top 50 joint, Way Past 8. Now they bring more heat for 2012. How Do I Survive?is on some rugged-n-raw type shit. I really enjoy that MOP sample Falside inserted in the cut. This joint has really got me anticipating Lopez’s, Demolition Deluxe dropping in February.