I just listened to the five track EP from Eddie B. and Harry Fraud, The Johnny Utah Story, and it’s incredibly tight. The project is a prelude to their collaborative album dropping in November, Paper, Piff, and Polos. If the album is just as strong as these cuts it could instantly be a contender for Album Of The Year and that’s not overstepping. It’s that good.
Disclaimer: It is hard and challenging to pick 50 tracks from the thousands upon thousands that dropped this year. It is merely an attempt to list my favorite cuts of 2012. Click the links to listen to the song! I think it’s a great list. There were a lot of great songs crafted this year and I know I left off some good ones. I listened to 5,000+ tracks from 2012 alone this year, so as an artist, if you made this list you know you are on the forefront of my iTunes!
1. Megatron Mindstate – Spit Gemz, Shaz Illyork, and DJ Brans brought the banger of the year early on in 2012. For me this track just set a standard that could not be surpassed. The beat was epic and the rhymes intermingled the streets with theology to provide a brief but concentrated delivery of dope.
2. Tragedy Text – RP from the Loyalty Digital game me the chills literally with this track about texting and driving and anyone who can provoke that type of response deserves to be acknowledged. One of the great conceptual songs in the last five years.
5. Lo Siento Amigo – Dub Sonata x Double AB brought a lot of flavor and context to this joint. Dub Sonata conjures a little latin boom bap and Double AB continues to be one of the best story telling emcees in the game, narrating a tale of romance, deception, and karma.
6. Local Artist – I could have honestly used any on the cuts off of The 17ths FREE EP. It’s a damn great EP and you can listen to it through and through. But this cut puts the listener in the shoes of your “local artist” and his life.
8. Heaven – While this is not on any particular album, Mike Beatz provides an amazing banger for the fans and the visuals from the video give you that serial killer feel. I can’t wait to hear more from this man in 2013.
34. Terminate On Site – CF drops another tough joint. Last year he brought ‘that fire’, and this year he ‘terminates on site’.
39. Rabbit Season – Craig G is an OG. He deosn’t care about end of the year accolades but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve them. He once again shows these youngsters how it is done…proper. Kids….go get your shine box!
42. Unlearn – Reks and Numonics kill the game with this track. These are two of my favorites in their selected fields. You can’t listen to this without stopping what you are doing and paying attention to the music,.
Shabaam Sahdeeq is undoubtedly a busy man and to show how much work he has been putting in lately, he’s assembled Degrees Of Separation for established fans and new listeners a like to get acquainted with what he’s been up to lately. Degrees Of Separation includes a lot of the dope singles we have featured on HHD this year, a lot of guest shots that he’s been on, and some newer tracks I hadn’t heard yet.
As for my favorites? I am glad you asked. It’s got the Harry Fraud produced Futuristic which is one of my favorites not only of Sahdeeq but by any artist this year. I am also partial to the Lewis Parker produced Walking On A Razor. I am sure that you will appreciate the talent the man brings to the table after listening to the project and find a few favorites of your own.
It’s been a while since I put one of these together and for that I apologize. There were quite a few tracks that I heard in July and wanted to put them together for one of these compilations…so without further ado…
1. Animal Pak (Praverb the Wyse x Don Street) – Banger
2. Substantial – Check My Resume
3. Shabaam Sahdeeq x Eddie B x Smoke DZA – Futuristic
4. Illogic x Blockhead – Poster Boy
5. Dub MD x Vandalyzm x Substantial x Kel Spencer x K-Sise – Requiem
6. Cayoz x Ensilence – Retrospect
7. Layne Harper – Medicine Cabinet
8. Veteran Assassins – Paint The Town Red
9. Sciarii x Tableek x Blacastan – Fear No Man
10. Miami Beat Wave x Locos Por Juana x Omniscient x ArtOfficial – Succeed
11.Skrewtape x C-Rayz Walz x Shabaam Sahdeeq – 3 Ring Circus
12. CF – Terminate On Site
13. Serge Severe x Zapata – Hunger Games
This joint is top choice in my book. I talked about the music before when I briefly reviewed the single, but it begs repeating how dope this beat is and how each emcee puts in the necessary work to make it memorable. I can’t wait to hear Wolves in it’s entirety.
Sometimes there is so much beauty to behold in the most simple of tracks. Harry Fraud does it again. The acoustic guitar and the hand claps lead the way for our emcees to release verbal fury. And I can think of few others that have been on such a roll as Shabaam Sahdeeq. He has been ripping verses better than at any other point in his career. He, Eddie B, and Harry Fraud have a project dropping soon entitled, The Wolves.