Cuns and Dawson solicit well known microphone assaulter, Copywrite, for their latest single, World War IV. The track is dark with some staccato strings added for good measure. Copy and Dawson conduct a cold type of assassination with the verbals.
It’s only one verse but Copywrite reflect on the troubles he’s seen while Surock is taking the congregation to church with a piano laced production and a sample of a church choir. The latter half of the track is completely instrumental but dope nonetheless.
This is taken from their yet to be released collaborative affair, Choose Your Own Adventure: Murderland. I don’t think this release has a date as of yet. We will keep you posted.
Disclaimer: It is hard and challenging to pick 50 tracks from the thousands upon thousands that dropped this year. It is merely an attempt to list my favorite cuts of 2012. Click the links to listen to the song! I think it’s a great list. There were a lot of great songs crafted this year and I know I left off some good ones. I listened to 5,000+ tracks from 2012 alone this year, so as an artist, if you made this list you know you are on the forefront of my iTunes!
1. Megatron Mindstate – Spit Gemz, Shaz Illyork, and DJ Brans brought the banger of the year early on in 2012. For me this track just set a standard that could not be surpassed. The beat was epic and the rhymes intermingled the streets with theology to provide a brief but concentrated delivery of dope.
2. Tragedy Text – RP from the Loyalty Digital game me the chills literally with this track about texting and driving and anyone who can provoke that type of response deserves to be acknowledged. One of the great conceptual songs in the last five years.
5. Lo Siento Amigo – Dub Sonata x Double AB brought a lot of flavor and context to this joint. Dub Sonata conjures a little latin boom bap and Double AB continues to be one of the best story telling emcees in the game, narrating a tale of romance, deception, and karma.
6. Local Artist – I could have honestly used any on the cuts off of The 17ths FREE EP. It’s a damn great EP and you can listen to it through and through. But this cut puts the listener in the shoes of your “local artist” and his life.
8. Heaven – While this is not on any particular album, Mike Beatz provides an amazing banger for the fans and the visuals from the video give you that serial killer feel. I can’t wait to hear more from this man in 2013.
34. Terminate On Site – CF drops another tough joint. Last year he brought ‘that fire’, and this year he ‘terminates on site’.
39. Rabbit Season – Craig G is an OG. He deosn’t care about end of the year accolades but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve them. He once again shows these youngsters how it is done…proper. Kids….go get your shine box!
42. Unlearn – Reks and Numonics kill the game with this track. These are two of my favorites in their selected fields. You can’t listen to this without stopping what you are doing and paying attention to the music,.
Album: God Save The King
01 Post-Apocalyptic Request Box
02 Love (Feat. Tage Future)
03 Swaggot Killaz (Feat. Jakki Da Motamouth)
04 Sorrow (Feat. Illogic & Don Jaga)
05 Man Made (Feat. Rockness Monstah)
06 J.O.Y (Feat. Jason Rose & Torae)
07 Union Rights (Feat. Mhz)
08 Yo! MTV Raps (Feat. Jason Rose)
09 Blue Ribbon
13 White Democrats (Feat. Mac Lethal)
14 Golden State of Mind (Feat. Casual, Evidence & Roc Marciano)
16 Got to Make it (Feat. Tage Future)
17 A Talk with Jesus
This is my first time ever reviewing one of Copywrite’s releases. He has made a lot of good music in the past ten years and he has been in a few different places in his life during that time. You can hear that in his music. His most current station in life seems to have brought him a certain sense of peace of mind. Copywrite has recently engaged more actively with his Creator and you can see a changed person even though I have never met the man personally. Through his online interactions, he seems…content.
Artist: Rite Hook
Album: Draw You In
01. Draw You In (Feat. Lisa Bello)
02. Now And Then
03. Walk This Town (Feat. Planet Asia And Copywrite)
04. Bear With Me
07. She’s Crazy
08. Lock Eyes On The Enemy (Feat. Saigon And JoJo Pellegrino)
09. King Of The Throne
10. Cuttin Down (Feat. Stu Cat)
12. Take My Picture
14. Lose Control (Feat. Action Bronson)
16. Come Tommorrow
17. D.E.A.D End (Bonus Track)
I make no secrets on this blog about the artists I am feeling. And usually, the pattern repeats, as consistency appeals to me. This brings us to the latest work by Boston artist, Rite Hook. I have spoken to his appeal before but to recap previous posts, Rite Hook has great song making ability. He is able to put intelligent and emotional music together. He also has become a master at being able to construct dope hooks. His dark crooning really ties his songs together.