New banger from Pawz One accompanied on the mic by Ruste Juxx and Copywrite. Produced by Preed One, this joint isn’t dark and grimy, but more uptempo yet it still knocks those speakers out! Very reminscent of some late 1990s or early 2000s posse cuts. Really dope song for you to be nodding your head to. The venerable Tone Spliff is on the cuts!
50 Best Songs Of 2022
Lists of this magnitude are tough to do and I take a great deal of pride in crafting. I think the first ten to fifteen are easy to distinguish and then after, I think the places can be somewhat become interchangeable. All great tracks, where the pecking order becomes less discernible. So many artists could have been included multiple times on this list, but then we lose depth. Artists like Mickey Diamond and Jay Royale could have had multiple entries. As it stands only one emcee, Ransom, got two tracks selected for this list.
In the end, this is a testament to the strength of hip hop in 2022. We can agree to disagree on many points but maybe you will find something dope you hadn’t heard or a new artist to support. This is my hope.
Thanks for your time and readership!
-Stef aka thathiphopguy
|#1 – Done||M-Dot & Apollo Brown||This is the track that sets the tone for the entire year and this is what M-Dot and Apollo Brown typify: Hard work and talent!|
|#2 – Unruly||Vandal & Nottz||A song that gets caught in the head and does not let go. It is a personal anthem.|
|#3 – Power Nap||Nicholas Craven & Boldy James||Boldy and Craven is a beautiful union and nobody makes me crave a little rest like this cut. Beautiful music.|
|#4 – A Most Dreadful Symphony||Ransom & V Don||This song’s whole vibe gives me chills.|
|#5 – Chain Gretzky||Mickey Diamond & Big Ghost||No song went harder than this in 2022.|
|#6 – War I Bring||Sherm LaRock & Midaz||No song went harder than this in 2022…except above|
|#7 – Area 57 (ft. Skyzoo)||J57||Dope rhymes. Fluid flows. A Change Up. Perfect.|
|#8 – Qtna||Defcee & Boathouse||From the best album of 2022, you would expect a Top 10 song.|
|#9 – Highly Favored (ft. Bub Styles & Mickey Diamond)||Ty Farris & Slim One||It’s raw hip hop with a fantastic producer and three consummate emcees.|
|#10 – Linchpins (ft. Prince Po)||Guilty Simpson||The strings are glorious and the rhymes abound.|
|#11 – Everywhere I Go (ft. Muja Messiah, Guilty Simpson, and Copywrite)||Dub Sonata||The connections and cohesion on this joint are unparalleled. So clever!|
|#12 – Paint Pictures (J.Rocc Remix)||XP The Marxman||Hip-Hop holds true to it’s purest form on this joint.|
|#13 – The Most Exalted||IAMGAWD||Pen game is strong with this one. Glorious.|
|#14 – 3x||Madhattan & NV||Pied Piper type smooth. Follow the flute and dope flow.|
|#15 – Sal’s Pizza||38 Spesh & Harry Fraud||Spesh and Fraud are an elite combination, and you can hear it here.|
|#16 – Why Bitch||Starvin B & DustyVibes||Starvin B is a regular on these lists and this year is no different.|
|#17 – No Time To Waste (ft. Jadakiss)||Apathy & Stu Bangas||If you love sick lyricism this is the joint for you.|
|#18 – Cancel Myself||Ren Thomas & Brutal Caesar||You make a mockery of hip hop so Thomas and Caesar make a mockery of you.|
|#19 – Immortals (ft. Casual)||Lunar Heights||Great track and the Casual cameo is spot on.|
|#20 – Keeper Of The Flame||Mooch & Oh Jay||Smooth track and crisp flow.|
|#21 – Gunsmithz (ft. Phat Kat, Asun Eastwood, Recognize Ali)||Ol’ Man 80zzz||Another track in 2022 that knocks harder than most.|
|#22 – Stuck In Our Ways (ft. Rigz, MAV, Mooch)||Real Bad Man||It’s Da Cloth!!! Flames!|
|#23 – Carlito & Kleinfeld||Jay Royale & Kool G Rap||It’s that certified street shit featuring a legend with one of today’s strongest.|
|#24 – Bone Tomahawk||Spit Gemz||This is an intro to Gemz project and packs a lot of heat in a minute’s time.|
|#25 – Fire Slingers (ft. Snak The Ripper)||N.B.S.||Yeah. This track stays true to the namesake. They are spitting flames on here.|
|#26 – Scud Missle||Planet Asia & Snowgoons||Legends unite to give you this heat rock. These guys are at the pinnacle of their craft.|
|#27 – Roar Of The Lions||El Gant||Another track that just “feels” like hip hop. It gets you hype to be a fan.|
|#28 – Slay||Johaz & Nottz||Nottz does it again this time taking you to church with Johaz.|
|#29 – Dis Could Be Bad||MAV||It could be bad, but MAV is oh so good.|
|#30 – Raekwon’s Table||Ullnevano & God Sense Beats||Not all are worthy to sit at Raekwon’s Table. But these artists show and prove.|
|#31 – Lo Pan||Teek Hall||Teek Hall is name you should know and when this song gets caught in your head, you’ll remember.|
|#32 – Hans Gruber (ft. Lil Fame)||Wais P & Pete Twist||Bruce Willis may not approve but the hip hop community agrees this is a banger.|
|#33 – Diamond Backs (ft. Daniel Son)||Maze Overlay||Northside and AZ link up over some Farma heat.|
|#34 – Compromised||Ransom||Ransom is too talented to not make this list twice.|
|#35 – Guerrero (ft. Westside Gunn)||Benny the Butcher||The power and talent of Griselda is undeniable. This joint feels like it was actually made in a lab.|
|#36 – Triple Threat (ft. RIM & Frankky Smaccz)||Eddie Kaine||Flamethrower bars over some production from the talented Hobgoblin.|
|#37 – Both Sides||The Tangiers||Every time this cut comes on, my head nods instantly. Drops heavy.|
|#38 – One Bridge (ft. Fashawn & K-Prez)||Snowgoons||The organ that drives this track is the perfect set up. And the emcees give such great energy!|
|#39 – Bars After Bars||Fatt Father & DJ Jewels Baby||The Wu-Tang flip is insane and the bars and flow speak for themselves.|
|#40 – Museum Piece (ft. Torae)||Napoleon Da Legend & Just Music Beats||This song has the necessary hype and talent equivalent to make the list. Lyricism for days.|
|#41 – Hamster Wheel||Locksmith||One of the most authentic artists in hip hop delivers a virtuoso performance.|
|#42 – Tyrant||Shabaam Sahdeeq & John Jigg$||Two of my favorites link up for some lyrical gold here.|
|#43 – Dudesovadere (ft. Dro Pesci)||Mic Handz||This project is full of bangers and needs to be heard. This is just one of those harbody tracks.|
|#44 – Too Convinced||Nelson Dialect & BigBob||This joint is just so melodic. It honestly should be higher on this list but what’s done is done. Incredible track.|
|#45 – Queens Gambit||Shaz Illyork & Buon Anni||So good to hear Illyork over these banging beats from Buon Anni.|
|#46 – Big Coffins (ft. Mickey Diamond and Pro Dillinger)||Snotty||It’s The Umbrella posse cut that bodies the competition.|
|#47 – Bill and Fame (ft. Tone Spliff)||The Bad Seed||A tribute of sorts to M.O.P. and no one is more set to do it properly than Seed!|
|#48 – Riot||Daniel Son x Futurewave x 36 Cypher||Yes. This joint could easily cause a riot. Everything is intense on this cut.|
|#49 – It’s Like That (ft. DJ Grazzhoppa)||Supreme Cerebral||Supreme Cerebral slays tracks and he takes this rock infused beat and wreaks havoc.|
|#50 – Gawds Wrath Massacre (ft. Don Streat x Rico Blox x J Fliz x Jae Hussle x Street Da Villain)||Slik Jack & Kng Bondalero)||I needed to set off the list with this ill posse cut because this beat by Bondalero is an anthem.|
Single You Out: Cuns x Dawson – World War IV (ft. Copywrite)
Single You Out: Copywrite x Surock – Trouble
It’s only one verse but Copywrite reflect on the troubles he’s seen while Surock is taking the congregation to church with a piano laced production and a sample of a church choir. The latter half of the track is completely instrumental but dope nonetheless.
This is taken from their yet to be released collaborative affair, Choose Your Own Adventure: Murderland. I don’t think this release has a date as of yet. We will keep you posted.
Top 50 Songs (2012)
Disclaimer: It is hard and challenging to pick 50 tracks from the thousands upon thousands that dropped this year. It is merely an attempt to list my favorite cuts of 2012. Click the links to listen to the song! I think it’s a great list. There were a lot of great songs crafted this year and I know I left off some good ones. I listened to 5,000+ tracks from 2012 alone this year, so as an artist, if you made this list you know you are on the forefront of my iTunes!
1. Megatron Mindstate – Spit Gemz, Shaz Illyork, and DJ Brans brought the banger of the year early on in 2012. For me this track just set a standard that could not be surpassed. The beat was epic and the rhymes intermingled the streets with theology to provide a brief but concentrated delivery of dope.
2. Tragedy Text – RP from the Loyalty Digital game me the chills literally with this track about texting and driving and anyone who can provoke that type of response deserves to be acknowledged. One of the great conceptual songs in the last five years.
3. The Greatest Mother Ever – Rashid Hadee provides one of the great sarcastic songs of our lifetime with this joint.
4. Little Bunny Rabbit – Locksmith does angst so well. He raps with a chip on his shoulder and delivers devastation to and and all in his path, in part to his little buddy.
5. Lo Siento Amigo – Dub Sonata x Double AB brought a lot of flavor and context to this joint. Dub Sonata conjures a little latin boom bap and Double AB continues to be one of the best story telling emcees in the game, narrating a tale of romance, deception, and karma.
6. Local Artist – I could have honestly used any on the cuts off of The 17ths FREE EP. It’s a damn great EP and you can listen to it through and through. But this cut puts the listener in the shoes of your “local artist” and his life.
7. Under Their Radar, Over Their Heads – Illmaculate has always delivered dope bars but the production on this joint combined with the lyricism made this a sure shot for out Top 10.
8. Heaven – While this is not on any particular album, Mike Beatz provides an amazing banger for the fans and the visuals from the video give you that serial killer feel. I can’t wait to hear more from this man in 2013.
9. How Do I Survive – Emilio Lopez and Falside link up for another banger that just makes the listener get out of the seat and get amped.
10. Dirt In The Ground – Premrock’s reworking of Tom Waits music is impressive and this joint is the closing cut. It’s very innovative and poignant.
11. Rare Flow – Serge Severe and Jon Belz bring you that rare Portland air with this ‘rare flow’ over Terminill production.
12. J.O.Y. – Copywrite features Torae and Jason Rose for this outstandingly soulful song.
13. My Condolences – Snake Hollywood released this beast of a track towards the end of the year and it instantly bypassed 95% of the other tracks out there. Really dope rhymes.
14. Yesterday’s Gone – Swerve and Co$$ define soul in hip hop with this track. Just something to put you at ease.
15. 3AM – Journalist 103 is prone to drop a gem on em’ and this is one of my favorite tracks from his most recent album.
16. Burn It Down – Gotham Green and Quickiemart bring you a track to tear the club up. A 1940s club that is because this joint bumps with a nostalgic vibe. Very unique.
17. Waiting In Vein – Mayhem drops one of the best storytelling joints this year. You will just have to listen to this one and follow along.
18. Problem Solver – Vinnie Paz brings in the legend, Scarface for this song off of his most recent album.
19. Futuristic – When is ‘The Wolves’ project going to drop because this collaborative deal between Shabaam Sahdeeq, Eddie B., and Harry Fraud is type ill.
20. Check My Resume – Substantial rocking over some Oddisee beats is the sure shot.
21. Don’t Hate – Of Mice and Musicians are trying to convince the listener they are doing it for their benefit…so don’t hate. Also, this is off of a great album so make sure you cop that!
22. Big Bro – Fatal Lucciauno dropped a real raw ass album and this song is the crem de la crem.
23. Sorry – Alias & Fakts One apologize for the vicious cycle on this joint but not their dope music.
24. Mr. Governor – The duo of Soul Khan and Akie Bermiss again deliver a dope song with this conscious cut.
25. Drowning Man – Cas Metah and Wonder Brown offer a Christian message in the form of dope hip hop rhythm accompanied by Copywrite and Elias.
26. Digi Box – C-Rayz Walz pays homage to the hip hop internet scene.
27. Rock To The Rhythm – Ruste Juxx and The Arcitype drop thisself explanatory joint but in the illest, and most high energy way possible.
28. Price & Shining Armor – When Sean Price and Ruste Juxx combine, it’s nothing but a win for everybody.
29. Unfukwitable – Red Eye and company rock over a DJ Bless beat making this the best posse cut of the year. Hands down.
30. Sushi – Ras Kass is my all-time favorite emcee and he shows and proves his place in history once again with this track.
31. Monte Carlo – King Mez and producer Commissioner Gordon once again combine for this audio masterpiece.
32. Jansport Strings – Skyzoo and the horns are a formidable combination.
33. Above The Sky – Apollo The Great is one of the best surprises this year to me. His album is immaculate and this track is one of my favorites.
34. Terminate On Site – CF drops another tough joint. Last year he brought ‘that fire’, and this year he ‘terminates on site’.
35. Humid Nights – JR&PH7 link up with The Kid Daytona for a soulful joint off their most recent project.
36. Success – The Audible Doctor and Chaundon showcase their verbals over the former’s tightest productions.
37. Walk With The Lions – When Swedish producer Pause Beats comes out with his album in 2013 you will recognize. A lot of talent on this track.
38. Knob Creek – JustMe, Marcus Wilkerson, and Sheisty Khrist give you a spiritual, soulful and bluesy vibe that this liste needed.
39. Rabbit Season – Craig G is an OG. He deosn’t care about end of the year accolades but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve them. He once again shows these youngsters how it is done…proper. Kids….go get your shine box!
40. the Last Great – This is the title track off of MaLLy & The Sundance Kid’s album from this year. It’s such a different sound and the two work great together.
41. Blame The Label – The Narcicyst asks you to take a leap of faith with him which is easy when he drops an infectious track like this!
42. Unlearn – Reks and Numonics kill the game with this track. These are two of my favorites in their selected fields. You can’t listen to this without stopping what you are doing and paying attention to the music,.
43. Appreciation – Speaking of ill combinations, Donnie Darko and DJ Bless continue their run with one of the best track this year. Darko has a lot of power in his voice and Bless in his beats.
44. Sandstorms – This list needed another ill posse cut and who better to deliver than Blacastan, Emilio Lopez, Outerspace, and V-Zilla? No One.
45. Holy Smokes – You don’t remember Mr. Complex do you? Well, I personally think he is one of the most interesting emcees in the game. A great talent with a great sense of humor.
46. People – Falside ain’t right for this as he asserts his force on this Juan Deuce track featuring Romen Rok. Real ill!
47. The First 48 – Apollo Brown and OC brought you one of the illest albums this year and this song typifies that release. Dope beats and rhymes.
48. You Know Who You Are – Oddisee is a unique talent with an old soul. A producer extraordinaire with great lyrical ability.
49. Balcony – Are you down with the Mission? The Black Opera. You are either with us or against us.
50. Time 2 Roll – The Red Giants are not only smooth but also extremely dope and don’t tell me Jermiside can’t flow. This is ill lyricism and ability!
Cas Metah & Wonder Brown – Drowning Man (feat. Copywrite & Elias) (Video)
Cas Metah and Wonder Brown of the Scribbling Idiots put the visuals to the strongest track on their album (my opinion), The Darke Bros. Dope verses about throughout the track, especially with the guest verse of Copywrite to account for.
Copywrite – Workahol (Video)
Copywrite back with some more visuals from the God Save The King album. Just another dope cut from a must have album.
Copywrite: God Save The King (2012)
Album: God Save The King
01 Post-Apocalyptic Request Box
02 Love (Feat. Tage Future)
03 Swaggot Killaz (Feat. Jakki Da Motamouth)
04 Sorrow (Feat. Illogic & Don Jaga)
05 Man Made (Feat. Rockness Monstah)
06 J.O.Y (Feat. Jason Rose & Torae)
07 Union Rights (Feat. Mhz)
08 Yo! MTV Raps (Feat. Jason Rose)
09 Blue Ribbon
13 White Democrats (Feat. Mac Lethal)
14 Golden State of Mind (Feat. Casual, Evidence & Roc Marciano)
16 Got to Make it (Feat. Tage Future)
17 A Talk with Jesus
This is my first time ever reviewing one of Copywrite’s releases. He has made a lot of good music in the past ten years and he has been in a few different places in his life during that time. You can hear that in his music. His most current station in life seems to have brought him a certain sense of peace of mind. Copywrite has recently engaged more actively with his Creator and you can see a changed person even though I have never met the man personally. Through his online interactions, he seems…content.
Copywrite – Swaggot Killaz (ft. Jakki Da Mota Mouth) (Video)
Copywrite’s, God Save The King, drops on Febraury 28th and this is the first offering from the project. !llmind has got the production covered on this track. I like the scratching he incorporated into the hook. Copy bodies his verse as usual with lots of clever wordplay and punchlines.