It’s been a while since I have heard The Bad Seed rock on the mic, but he’s come back with a vegeance over a damning beat from Nottz. If you thought that Seed was your peer, think again. He’s not here to make friends, he’s here to check heads with those in the game posing. this is a real dope cut.
This cut is as they say, ‘stupid fresh’. Rain910 and Cory Gunz are on some Dia De Los Metros shit with this latest cut produced by Nottz. It’s a banger in every sense of the word. The production from Nottz is so fire it’s able to set off a panic among listeners. Rain and Gunz then proliferate random violence with every turn of phrase.
Be on the lookout A Perfect Day To Die dropping on November 13th.
I am so glad that his was released as a single off of The MyNORS mixtape, Black Lung. I am not going to have time to review this great project (and it is great) but this gives me an opportunity to put the spotlight on it somewhat. I have already started a Top 50 list for 2013 and this track is so far on the list. This reminds me of some Timbaland production meets The Beastie Boys. The guys add Nottz to the mix and there is some really great exchange. See hip hop can be fun…try it for a listen.
This was a tough category. There were so many dope, short projects that were offered up this year that it was really hard to narrow it down to my favorites. I just kept the one ruling principle in mind as to who made the dopes music. With that being kept in mind there were some dope artists left off…most notably The Brown Bag AllStars. That crew put out a ton of dope EPs this year and surely some of them would have made a Top 10, just not the Top 5. I simply couldn’t let got of these joints.
The 17th gave us ‘FREE Music’ but not only that, he gave us some remarkable music. This EP is close to flawless as they come. You get eight tracks jam packed with flavor, great concept, flows, production, and delivery. Another remarkable aspect is that much of the EP is his from beginning to end. He of course is the lead emcee, but also the producer for the bulk of the tracks as well.
Serge Severe and Terminilllinked up for a superlative effort on Service Without A Smile. The two really played off of each other’s strengths and this proved to be one of the illest producer/emcee combos of 2012.
Speaking of ill producer/emcee combos, how about this one? Swiss-American hip-hop group, Nefew, Virginia emcee Shakes, and super producer Nottz link up for for this five track EP. You can’t go wrong with this joint!
MayDay has a sound all unto themselves. They have have great production to back them up on Thrift Store Halos and their melodies, rhymes, and guest shots throughout make this one a clear winner for 2012.
The Narcicyst comes back in 2012 with a lyrical fury from Dubai. Ok, a lyrical fury may be a bit extreme but his world observations set to rhythm set him apart from the pack this year.
Album: In Between The Lines Vol. 2
Source: DJ Booth
- Intro / Once Again (prod. by ATG)
- Legacy (prod. by J. Lee)
- Represent (2010) (Freestyle)
- This Or That (prod. by Statik Selektah)
- My Word (ft. Dynas and Jon Hope) (prod. by Rain)
- What It Is (Freestyle)
- Successful Girl (ft. BK Cyph) (prod. by Statik Selektah)
- Feel It Baby (prod. by Soul Theory)
- Different Breed (prod. by OhNo)
- Pray For U (Homicide Note) (prod. by Statik Selektah)
- Outta Control (Egos) (ft. Strong Arm Steady) (prod. by Statik Selektah)
- Money & Power (ft. Sonic and Termanology) (prod. by Statik Selektah)
- Eff You (prod. by Nottz)
- Get Rowdy (ft. Sha Stimuli and Reef The Lost Cause) (prod. by Bassheadz)
- No Hooks (ft. Lucky Dice and Chi Knox) (prod. by Nottz)
- In My Lane (ft. Ras Kass and Ekko) (prod. by Hazardis Soundz)
- Getting Ugly (prod. by Frank Dukes)
- Eat Or Starve (prod. by Statik Selektah)
- 6AM (ft. Slaine, JFK, and Steven King) (prod. by Statik Selektah)
- Setting It Off (ft. Slaine. JFK, Jaysaun, and Steven King) (prod. by Statik Selektah)
- Window Pane (prod. by Blaze P and Bing)
- The ETC (ft. Kali) (prod. by Statik Selektah)
- Night Sky (ft. S.O.L.) (prod. by Dom Dirtee)
- Hooked On Whateva (ft. Blaze P and J Tronious) (prod. by Blaze P)
- Lighter (ft. Ea$y Money and Sonic) (prod by Scotty B)
- Hndu Kush (GHOST) (ft. Lucky Dice and Steis) (prod. by The Lion)
- Rapanomics (ft. Termanology and Sha Stimuli) (prod. by Rain)
- Strays (ft. Saheed) (prod. by Hazardis Soundz)
- Brainstorm (prod. by ATG)
- My Dark Skin (Willie Lynch Theory) (prod. by Soul Theory)